LIKE Us on FaceBook.........http://www.facebook.com/TheCheFit

Monday, February 18, 2013

Nutrition: Meal Prep 2



This is a continuation of the previous meal preparation blog and mixes in a little bit of calorie and macro management. Here we will talk about meal timing and quantity. 

Calculating Number of Meals


Conventional wisdom suggests to eat 5-6 small meals a day. I generally agree with this but do also recognize that there are various types of dieting and caloric intake methods. Whether it is intermittent fasting, carb cycling, Atkins or Shakeology; as long as you are accountable to some sort of system, I believe you will have results. Beware of gimmicks or "fad dieting". Try to find something that is maintainable for you and make a lifestyle change.

I dropped about 10lbs since that post last year and am going to stay lean since summer is approaching (between 180-185lbs). It's purely a personal decision on how to split your calorie count up. Everyone has different daily schedules so certain methods may or may not apply well to your lifestyle. I work a desk job with access to a refrigerator and microwave. I can also choose to workout at lunch or after work if I get busy. Due to my work situation, I can be pretty flexible with my meal count and timing.

My method of calculating meal count is based on my protein macro (instead of fats or carbs). Since I'm focused on bodybuilding/aesthetics, it's one of my most important macros to hit. It also is a macro that is hard to exceed. I often find myself trying to limit fats and carbs, looking for foods that are low in these categories. For protein, if I'm being strict and counting every gram, I often have to try to make up protein at the end of the night. So I like to figure out how much protein I need daily and try to split that between 5-6 meals. For those of you trying to drop weight, your total caloric intake is likely the most important macro. Track that and split it in between your chosen number of meals.


Meal Timing


Below is the timeline of a typical day of eating and a brief look into the activities between those meals.
 
Meal #1
8:00am

*** Woke up, walked dogs.
1 pinch of Almonds (1/4 cup)
5oz Salmon fillet
2 cups steamed veggies
 
Meal #2
11:17am

*** At work, just out of meeting.
5-6oz Ground Turkey
1-2 cups black beans
 
Snack #1
2:00pm

*** Finished workout during lunch.
Protein Shake (Whey mixed with water)
 
 
Meal #3
3:16pm

*** Still at work.
5oz Salmon fillet
1-2 cups black beans
Additional: Nuun tab in water
 
Meal #4
4:45pm

*** Wrapping up at work.
5-6oz Ground Turkey
2 cups steamed veggies
Additional: Green Tea in water
 
Meal #5
8:15pm

*** At home or out and about.
Bowl of Ramen w/ an egg and a can of tuna added.

Example Alternate Dinners/Lunches
 
Snack #2
10:30pm

*** Optional meal, before bed.
Boiled Egg
Pinch of almonds
If short on Protein that day: Protein shake w/ Almond Milk
 

Considerations


This style of eating is not for everybody. Depending on your fitness goals, it may not be ideal for you to use this meal timing. This is just an example of what works for me and my specific goals. I encourage people to research various styles of eating habits and explore what works best for them. Whether it is counting all macros or just carbs or "points". Once you become familiar with your chosen diet system, I believe that you can transition to "free eating" and become less strict with your bean counting. That may not be ideal for those trying to lose lots of weight however.

The more you eat your meal prep, the better your results will be. Not everyone can eat steamed veggies and fish all the time so I do like having "cheat" meals. Just don't turn a cheat meal into a cheat day. On weekends if I have some drinks or dinner out, I still will have eaten at least two meals from my meal prep. It's all bout finding a sustainable balance between living life and being healthy. As long as you are eating healthy and exercising more often than you are not, you should still be moving toward a fit physique. Of course the higher percentage of meals you prepare and control yourself, the better your results will be.

If you are just starting out with eating healthy, do not try to drastically change your eating habits immediately. Maybe just switch out your lunch for a healthy option initially and slowly expand from there. Read more about that in our Getting Started Blog.


Check back for additional advice and browse our posts regularly for ideas on workouts and nutrition. Good luck!

Submitted by Bars

No comments:

Post a Comment